Winter this year is colder than ever for our temperate South Carolina climate! Here are a few tips to help keep your house warm and your energy consumption and bill low:
- Cover all bare floors with rugs or carpeting. It will help retain heat better!
- Use the sun to help heat your home. Open the blinds or curtains during the day to allow sunlight to warm your house and then close at night.
- Raise the temperature of the thermostat slowly instead of quickly to keep your bill lower.
- Change the filters of your heating system once a month for efficient running.
- Lower your thermostat a few degrees at night when you will be snugly tucked under your warm blankets.
- Limit use of space heaters. They are great for short term, “spot” heating, but can be very expensive if used frequently for long periods of time.
- Lower the thermostat when you leave the house or go on vacation.