Strawberry season is coming to a close locally, but it’s not too late to get your fix!
Some local farms still have pick-your-own.
- Strawberries are the only fruit that wear their seeds on the outside. The average berry is adorned with some 200 of them. No wonder it only takes one bite to get seeds stuck in your teeth.
- Strawberries aren’t true berries, like blueberries or even grapes. Technically, a berry has its seeds on the inside. And, to be über technical, each seed on a strawberry is considered by botanists to be its own separate fruit. Whoa, meta!
- Strawberries are members of the rose family. Should you come upon a bush of them growing, you’ll see: they smell as sweet as they taste.
- The strawberry plant is a perennial. This means if you plant one now, it will come back next year and the following and the year after that. It may not bear fruit immediately, but once it does, it will remain productive for about five years.
- Americans eat an average of three-and-a-half pounds of fresh strawberries each per year. It’s closer to five pounds if you count frozen ones. In a study, more than half of nine-year-olds picked strawberries as their favorite fruit. They’re nature’s candy!
- Strawberries can also be pickled. Especially when picked green or unripe. If your berries are overripe, make jam! They are an excellent source of Vitamin C- a powerful natural antioxidant, rich in B-complex group of vitamins. contain a good amounts of vitamin B-6, niacin, riboflavin, pantothenic acid and folic acid. Together, these help the body metabolize carbohydrate, proteins and fats.
Many of our smoothies contain strawberries.
Organic strawberries, that is – the best!
Or, customize your own smoothie and take advantage of this powerful fruit.
It’s shaped like a heart for a reason.
Thursday, May 21st – Sunday, June 7th
Charleston comes alive and we are lucky to welcome not only visitors to our enchanting city, but artists and performers in a variety of mediums from all over the world.
It’s a one-of-a-kind event each year. Soak in some culture and expand your horizons with something other than the norm. Tickets sell our quickly (if not already). Don’t wait.
Many family friendly (and FREE) events! The kids will love it and you will too. Music, theatre, dancing, you name it… Take advantage of this unique annual event. Check out the: Family Friendly Events at Piccolo.
Pivotal Fitness Summerville Grand Opening
We had a wonderful turnout at the Grand Opening of the Summerville Pivotal Fitness last week! We were excited and honored to be included. We served up some good eats. All healthy, organic, and vegan.